Meet our horses!
Expectations and Training
Expectations: Choosing the Therapy Horse
We want a horse with a history, but not a long history or one ready for retirement.
- horse with previous experience
- showing, rodeo, trail-activities that expose them to unexpected events
- middle aged
- 15 hands or shorter
- geldings or mares
- no lameness or behavior issues
Training: Initial training of a Therapy Horse
- initial screening at current owners house
- observe horse for lameness, behavior and general attitude to rider and unstable riders
- our equine specialist and vet check them out
- experienced horse person rides and leads horse
- trial period of 3 months at therapy center
- desensitization to therapy toys
Additional training may consist of:
- unstable riders
- loud noises
- different leaders
- different sidewalks
- wheel chairs, walkers, and canes
- walking through ramps and lift systems
- walking over or through unusual terrains
Expenses related to caring for our herd are constant: veterinary costs, farrier (horseshoe) costs, food and equipment. Is it in your heart and budget to sponsor a member of our herd and cover these costs on a monthly basis? Sponsoring one of our riders will cover monthly riding fees if you prefer!
We need your help!
Beyond Boundaries Wish List 2021
❏ Monthly horse sponsorships @ $200 for a month for grooming, feed, hay, worming, farrier, etc.
❏ New horse halters & lead ropes- $25 each for nylon halters & $15 for lead ropes
❏ Treats for the horses - various prices
❏ Big fans for the arena
❏ Large Heaters for the arena & barn
❏ Barn mats for stalls - rubber mats @ $75 each
❏ Heavy duty industrial strength long water hoses
❏ 55 gallon barrels